Empress Mac & Cheese
- 3 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1 package of short pasta (penne rugate, rigatoni, rotini, elbows, etc. )
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1.5 cups of milk and cream
- 510g of soft cheese grated, salt, black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of mustard (optional)
- Dash of hot sauce (your choice )
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 3-quart baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and toss with a little bit of olive oil to prevent it from sticking together as much.
- Meanwhile, chop garlic and melt 3 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium/low heat.
- Once butter is melted and bubbling, mix in flour and cook by whisking the mixture every 1-2 minutes - until raw flour smell is gone.
- Whisk in half-and-half, mustard, and hot sauce then cook, whisking until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheese in stages until smooth.
- Fold in pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately otherwise, proceed to baking.
- Garnish with scallions and we are done!